“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” - Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, January 3, 2013

A New Fitness Adventure

Today was a super exciting new opportunity in the fitness world for me!  As you all know, I have a love of running and lifting, but I will also try any class at least once.  Hence my jazzercize experience over summer and my other not so cool class experiences.

My gym class buddy Lori asked me over break if I'd be interested in taking a Kangoo Jumps class that she had seen on Facebook.  It's offered near us through Chakaboom Fitness and she knew I wouldn't refuse.  Apparently everyone else did, losers.

After a fear that I was going to fall on my face or break something, I decided to suck it up and go.  I've never really seem Zumba as appealing since I don't have much coordination, so why not try something similar with an added challenge?  I like challenges!

So what is Kangoo Jumps?

Well, it starts with these:
Think rollerblades, but with bouncy things instead of wheels.  You strap them on just like roller blades, which is nice because then you don't have to worry about any ankle problems, they are in solid boots.
Then you stand!  Standing isn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, and it was actually really easy to jump around in them.  I never had a fear of falling once I was up, so it was time to have fun.  I guess if you don't have a super sense of balance, there might be a fear, but I'm not the most balanced either.  No worries :)

The class was 45 minutes of jumping and running around in the shoes to all sorts of songs.  Each song came with new choreography and moves for us to master.  A woman in the class had told Lori and I that some of the moves were going to be hard and we shouldn't need to worry about keeping up on our first class.  Challenge accepted!  We were hanging in there with everybody else!  While some moves were just a little rough for my lack of coordination, I got it and never had to stop in the middle of a song and was able to do all the moves after seeing them.  We even did Gangnam Style, haha.  It was an excellent cardio workout that I am pretty sure I'm going to feel in my butt/hamstrings over the next 2 days.  We even did jump squats in the crazy boots!

Overall, definitely a fun experience.  We're going back.  Chakaboom Fitness also offers Zumba and a Chakatoning class, which I'm definitely interested in trying.  They were starting to pack in the people for the toning class and it looked like it would be a fun one using resistance bands.  They all were going to have the same instructor, who was so full of energy and got everybody moving.  There is another instructor that does some of the classes, but he seems to be just as much fun, so we'll see. 

Have you tried any new classes or workouts lately?

1 comment:

  1. That class looks so fun and the shoes remind me of the moon shoes I had as a kid! I loved those things!

    ReplyDelete