“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” - Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, December 29, 2012

A belated Happy Holidays!

Hey all!  Hope everything was great for everyone over the holidays!  We did lots of stuff that I want to get you caught up on, but first I figured I'd keep you reading by providing a fabulous paleo recipe!

We're back from our holiday travels, aside from another trip coming up for a family Christmas, so we're starting out with getting back on track with our eating.  After another egg breakfast yesterday, Dear had said he'd had enough with the eggs.  Breakfast wasn't working for him, he can only do so many eggs.  I love eggs and could probably eat them everyday.  But alas, I need to keep Dear happy or he'll quit the paleo diet before we see any changes from it.

Before Christmas we had been "sort-of" paleo and I was starting to feel much better.  I was easily digesting my food, never felt bloated, and was less tired most of the time.  So here goes nothing!

PS- These muffins have a fun streusel topping on them.  It just makes them more fun, but it's not entirely necessary.  This recipe was adapted from Paleo Pumpkin Muffins.  Oh, and they aren't really sweet, so don't expect them to be.  Dear spread some honey on the second one he ate, said that made it much better.
Paleo Pumpkin Struesel Muffins

You'll need:
 For the muffins:
1 1/2 cups almond flour
3/4 cup pumpkin
3 eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. coconut oil, melted

For the struesel topping:
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. cinnamon

Do this:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Mix all the muffin ingredients together and stir until well blended.  Spoon evenly into 12 muffin cups.
3. To prepare the struesel, combine flour, butter, honey, and cinnamon in a bowl.  Using 2 forks, cut through them to combine the ingredients and slice the butter into the flour/cinnamon.  
4. Top each muffin with the struesel.
5. Bake in oven for 25 minutes in the middle rack of the oven.  When done, cool on wire rack.

Enjoy!  Hope everyone's staying warm out there :)  Here was the view from my computer:
First time using our fire place this year.  I convinced Dear to let me use it today since it snowed this morning.  It was quite lovely, but it's melted already :(
Because of this morning's snow, I postponed my 17 miler until tomorrow.  It's still going to be crazy cold, but I won't have to worry about getting soaked and freezing during the run.  I also wanted to make today a rest day because yesterday I hurt my back.  I think it was a nerve issue, but it hurt sooooo bad I didn't leave the couch for a while, but I'm much better today.  Good news for my training!

Any advice for my long run tomorrow in the cold?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually understand what you are
    speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also talk over with
    my website =). We may have a hyperlink alternate agreement among us

    Look into my web blog: polo ralph lauren outlet

    ReplyDelete